Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Haystack

This last Sunday was the 49th Superbowl, Patriots vs. Seahawks. In a last ditch effort, my boys lost the game, and I was left to take home a big pile of dip. Instead of wallowing in the loss, I'm joining my fellow fans and looking to the bright future! Hence my first foodie-blog post shall be that dip I just mentioned. THE HAYSTACK.

Layered with history (ha, you'll see that's funny), The Haystack is a classic bean-dip appetizer that has been a staple in my family forever. Some woman at my grandpa's company won some recipe contest and it was published in their monthly newsletter in some year starting with 19. So here's to you, lady! Your dip has served many thousands of my family members and will now be the subject of this post -- may it fill your family's stomachs with joy as it has mine for decades. 

My posts will always be classic recipes with my favorite twists. I build upon what I've learned and what I enjoy. This is how my dishes become uniquely mine. I want to encourage you to make your cooking your own too! If there are flavors you'd rather use because you like them more, then do it! The kitchen is your space. Just get to cookin'.


BEHOLD THE HAYSTACK 





INGREDIENTS:

1 large can refried beans (I like to use black refried beans
1 package taco seasoning 
1/4 cup water
Marie Sharps Hot Sauce  (or your favorite kind
3 ripe avocados (How do you know your avocados are ripe? Click here, cool trick!)
3 tablespoons lemon juice 
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 can pitted black olives, roughly chopped 
1 small can chopped green chiles 
1 1/2 cup Monetrey Cheese
1 cup Cheddar Cheese 
1 cup diced tomatoes 
Shredded lettuce (enough to cover the top, without falling off!!

DIRECTIONS: 

1. Combine beans, taco seasoning, hot sauce, 1/4 cup water in saucepan over medium-high heat on stove. Stir continuously until beans are creamy and bubbly. Cool slightly and spread on LARGE platter. Like Haystack Rock in Oregon, this dip is going to have a pyramid shape. (Ha, get it now?)

2. Blend avocados with lemon juice and sour cream. I like to use a potato masher for this process. Once creamy, mix in garlic salt and chili powder. This guacamole type concoction will now be spread on top of the beans, anxiously awaiting friends on the platter. 

3. Next, pop open the chiles from the can and spread them over the avocado layer. You'll then add the roughly chopped olives after that. 

4. Top all of this gloriousness with the 2 cheeses, diced tomatoes, and, if you're feeling crazy, shredded lettuce. It's good with or without the lettuce, I just like the crunch. Also, fun fact, the woman who originally wrote this recipe called for alfalfa sprouts for the final topping. So, if you're feeling crazy you can do that instead of the lettuce too. 

5. FINALLY, SERVE WITH TORTILLA CHIPS -- BECAUSE, IT NEEDS A VEHICLE. 

"be warned, this recipe will serve a lot of people and is not for the faint of heart. be prepared to take home leftovers as I have." 


That's all for today folks, thanks for stopping by to Karen's Place. Stay tuned for next week as we attempt to create a healthy twist on my favorite carbo-load treat: bruschetta chicken. Be well! Eat Well! Have Fun!
-k.




No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!