Sunday, March 20, 2016

DIY Adult Ramen


I'm not going to lie. Today's entry is going to be pretty elemental, pretty old school, pretty throw-back to my college days. And yes, it does require going to the store and buying a $0.99 package of Top Ramen. BUT, before you judge, I caught whatever plague everyone else is getting. I've been so sick for the last week, its been taking all of my energy to even get out of bed in the morning. Really, the only thing that has been tasting good lately is ramen. It's a crazy sickness that's been affecting everyone I know, and so I hope this blog post finds you well! 

The thing is though, I've dressed up this ramen. I added REAL chicken, radishes, and mushrooms. I also did NOT use the sodium-bomb that is called the "spice packet". It's been boiled in chicken bouillon and I added an egg. So it's like a chicken noodle egg drop soup that's been dressed up with a hint of lime and sriracha. It's like your old college favorite ... but classier. 



Say what you will about this simple meal, it's filling and warm. Two things you need most when you're fighting a fever and have little energy. Let's get to it then, shall we?

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 Top Ramen Package
    (it really doesn't matter what flavor you have, you won't be using the spice packet any way)
  • 1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
  • 1/4 cup sliced radish
  • 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon bullion
    (dissolved in water ... you could also skip the water and the bullion and just use chicken stock instead!) 
  • 1-2 squeezes lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon sriracha 
DIRECTIONS
Bring two cups of water +  bullion or stock to a boil. Place the dried ramen noodles into the boiling water and cook for three minutes. At the end of those three minutes, crack the egg into the boiling pot. Quickly whisk the egg around until you see the yolk separate and firm up. Then, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the veggies, chicken, sriracha, and lime juice. Cook for 1 more minute, and then get ready to enjoy this easy noodle soup!



I'm starting to feel a little better, so get ready for those fancy recipes you're used to! 
Per usual, eat well! Be well! And really... don't get sick. It's the worst. 

xoxo,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!