Sunday, February 15, 2015

Aunt Winnie Lou's Bon Bon Chocolates

When I was really small, my great-great Aunt Winnie Lou was still alive. I have a very vague memory of her, but I do remember that she was my mom's very favorite Great-Aunt. Visiting her was always fun, because she was fun. She had a great, dark house that smelled like sugar, and a back yard with picnic tables where my cousin David got stung by a bee. Today, my mom has boxes chalk full of Winnie Lou's recipes, carefully handwritten in beautiful (hard to read) cursive, each one was signed in her initials, W.L.S. These recipes are very special in my family, and are a partly the reason for my life-long food obsession. 




For Valentine's Weekend, I went home to visit my parents and wash my car. How romantic! My mom surprised me after lunch with these wonderfully easy to make bon-bons for dessert. They're just candy, but the filling is supposed to imitate ice cream you would find in a more traditional bon-bon. "Aunt Winnie Lou has been inspiring me a lot lately," my Mom said, "I've never made these chocolates before, but I absolutely love them." 



Remaking old family recipes are a great way to connect with your roots and remember your loved ones, in my opinion. On this Valentine's Day weekend, I hope you can reach out to the special people in your life and make some new memories too. This recipe is sure to be a hit, its very versatile to suit your own cravings and super easy to make. From my family to yours, here's Aunt Winnie Lou's Bon Bon Chocolates!


INGREDIENTS

Mixture:

  • 2 boxes powdered sugar
  • 1 can "eagle brand milk" (a.k.a sweet & condensed milk)
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla  

Any other flavorings that you'd like to add to this initial mixture (e.g. coconut, powdered chocolate, mint, espresso, nuts, peppermint, lemon) They're delicious either way

Chocolate dip:

  • 12-16 oz chocolate chips 

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix all of the ingredients together
2. If making different flavors, separate the mixture into separate bowls. You can make any flavor you want! Mocha, lemon, coconut, praline, raspberry, you get the picture. 
3. Once you have created the flavors you want, roll the mixture(s) into balls, place on lined cookie sheet, and chill for at least 2 hours. However, chilling overnight is best. 
4. After chilling, melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave
5. Now dip your chilled candies in chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet. Chill again until firm.


After I finished reading the recipe from Winnie Lou for these bon-bons I saw something extra written at the end. She wrote, "Sorry I didn't write this down on a recipe card." W.L.S


Don't forget to subscribe by email below! Eat well! Be well! Happy Valentine's Day <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!