The other day, I opened up my fridge and realized that we were all out of salsa. Though I only live a block away from the grocery store, I was in anguish! Ha, not really. But that's all that sounded good to me. But then I realized, my sister Amy has this amazing recipe for salsa that she learned in her 10th grade Spanish class. Why have I never made it myself?!
So I texted her for the recipe. And today I am sharing it with you, because I had forgotten how GOOD it was. I really don't think I'll go back to the store-bought kind. It literally takes less than 10 minutes to make, and you get to use an that immersion blender of yours that just sits in the cupboard 364 days of the year. How cool is that? :)
Let's go! DIY Salsa, just for you.
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small diced green chiles
- 1 small can diced jalapeños
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh serrano pepper (optional)
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon (or lime)
- Salt to taste
- Dump the first 6 ingredients into a big bowl and combine using an immersion blender. You can just use a regular blender too.
- Last, season with lemon juice and salt to your liking.
- Then give it a stir with a tortilla chip, and another...and another...
*Note from Amy: "Oh, and, I tried it with fresh ingredients instead of canned once, but it wasn't the same. The flavors didn't blend as much. And it gets spicer a day in the fridge. I think that's all now :)"
ENJOY!! And follow by email below :)