Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Potsticker Salad. It exists.

To be really honest, if I could eat pop tarts and Asian food every day I would. Oh, and bread. But don't get me started on that again. The reality is our bodies (especially mine) can't handle that much delicious content. And I strive to be authentic to that reality, because things can get crazy! So this means, I try to punch in veggies (or at least fruits) at every meal. Every dish I make needs to have something that will work for my body - not against it. I want to earn those pop tarts. 

This is how salads have become a very common staple in our household. And in order to keep things fresh, I have to challenge what I think a salad really is on a regular basis. Enter the potsticker or gyoza as the case may be.

One week, Ethan could not stop talking about having a potsticker salad for dinner. We had two bags of them in the freezer and he really had a hankering for it. I had no idea what he was talking about. But it sounded good. So in true Karen fashion, I went to the internets and did some research. Turns out, it is sort of a thing. You stir fry some potstickers up with veggies and put it all on some lettuce or bok choy. It's really very easy, and I can't wait to make it again.

So I tricked the system. I got my Asian food with my veggies. Ha! Take that universe. 

Let me know what you think. And be sure to take a picture if you make it and send it to me! You can tag me on instagram @karenleannkirsch :)



INGREDIENTS 
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • 1 package frozen potsickers or gyoza (you can get these almost anywhere, but I go to Uwajimaya
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil (olive oil will work fine if that's all you have)
  • 1 cup shelled edamame (you can find these frozen at any grocery store)
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup onion, chopped 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

For the dressing/sauce
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup sweet chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (or honey)
  • 2 teaspoons honey

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in pan over medium heat. Place potstickers flat side down. Cook 1-2 minutes until bottom has browned. Then, add 1/2 cup water and cover the pan with lid. Bring to simmer over medium high heat and cook for another 8-10 minutes.

2. While potstickers are cooking, shred lettuce, mince garlic, chop onion and peppers, and make the dressing (just whisk everything together listed under the header labeled "for the dressing...)

3. Once potstickers are done cooking, take them out of the pan. Cool the pan slightly and then add a new tablespoon of sesame oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute for 1 minute, then add the garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions begin to soften. Add the peppers and edamame and stir fry until soft (this takes 5-7 minutes).

4. Put the potstickers back into the pan with the veggies and pour the dressing over everything. Simmer 1-2 minutes and then cool.

5. Put everything on top of the lettuce and enjoy! Add more flavors that you like. 


Eat well! Be well! And subscribe to Karen's Place to never miss a beat. Thanks for reading, now go cook!




No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!