Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Monte Cristo


Last night, Ethan and I went to the ale house across the street with Joe & Devin. A couple that we love. Gosh, they're great. It's so hard to make friends after college, let alone couples. Yay for double dates that don't suck! Anyway, after some beer, Joe ordered a Monte Cristo for dinner. Oh man Joe, what a good choice. How come I never think to order that? We reveled in his choice for a beat, and then Ethan spoke up. He didn't know what Joe was eating. 

Cue cheesy double take.... "WHAAA?"

So we explained. It's a ham & cheese sandwich, fried french toast style, and topped sweetly with powdered sugar and jam. He was with us in our excitement until we got to the "sweet toppings" part. 

Cue cheesy double take.... "WHAAA?"



It made me think of my first MC. I was with my mom (whom I call MAAAAAAAmmmmm) at the Issaquah Cafe (great local diner, check them out). She ordered it, I was curiously wary. I tried it, and BOOM. My eyes and tastebuds were opened to a whole new world. 



After our dinner with Joe and Devin, I knew I had to make it for Ethan. And according to him, a Monte Cristo is like the best parts of breakfast for dinner without sacrificing the dinner part. As of this morning, he's still weirded out by the sweet and savory combo. But that's what makes this sandwich great. Embrace the weird, folks. 
Embrace   the   weird.



INGREDIENTS
  • 2 pieces of bread (I used Essential Baking Co Multi Grain) 
  • 1 tablespoon greek yogurt (or mayo)
  • 1 tablespoon mustard (I buy Mustard & Co ... so good)
  • 6 slices fresh ham
  • 1/2 cup grated Gruyere Cheese 
  • 2 eggs
  • Splash of milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Honey, jam, and/or powdered sugar for topping 


DIRECTIONS
In a shallow bowl, crack 2 eggs and add a splash of milk, a couple grinds of pepper, and a few dashes of salt. Now, if you accidentally drop your pepper container in the bowl, pick it up, dry it off, and keep moving. You gotta whisk all those ingredients together!

Get two pieces of bread and spread the yogurt and mustard on one side of both. Put the cheese on piece and the ham on the other. Smoosh the bread together and then proceed to dredge it in the egg wash. 

Heat butter over medium heat in a large pan. Once the pan has heated and after dredging the sandwich on both sides, put the sandwich in the pan. Fry on both sides (about 3 minutes per side). 

Serve with raw honey, fresh jam, and/or top with powdered sugar. And enjoy! Enjoy the weird! It's delicious. 


As always, eat well! Be well! 
And follow by email below to never miss a beat!

xoxo,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!