Monday, February 8, 2016

The Lost Recipe Files: A Greek Cheese Tart

Most weekends I wake up late, let the light stream in from the dark floor to ceiling curtains my landlord picked out, and just let the next two days happen without much plan or thought. This last weekend, however, was much different. I woke up early and jammed the last two days chalk full of learning to fill me up, motivate me to make progress on the blog, and, more importantly, connect with other beautiful like-minded people. I was at The Pantry, a cooking school in Ballard, where I spent two days with Molly of the world-renowned Orangette Blog. Please check out this wonderful human being right now. 

We sat at a long butcher block table and wrote stories of our past and of memorable food. Molly encouraged us to bring out rich, concrete imagery and human emotion to our food writing. And we practiced over and over again, letting pencil hit the page and letting our fears go. I feel like I have uncovered a voice within me that I had been buried a long time ago. So, I hope you all are ready for some deeper and richer stories ahead.

Since I was so busy at the butcher block table this weekend, along with a great baby shower for my sister and a Super Bowl Party, I didn't have time to prepare a fantastic dish for you this week. And I also just realized that this blog has been active for over a year! As you can imagine, I have had many ups and downs in the kitchen this year, failed recipes and tears over a huge dumping of cinnamon in a Mexican meal that should have been chili powder. So I took stroll down memory lane and looked through my own personal archives, not knowing exactly what I would find. And then I came across a recipe that I never posted! 

Meet the Greek Cheese Tart. I think I made this last spring and it totally surprised me. I'm not sure why I never posted it, because it is delicious. It's a lighter and fluffier version of the cheesecake and the crust is phyllo dough that puffs up around the sweet insides like a flavor pillow. Here are the details...


INGREIDENTS:

  • 1 package phyllo dough (find it in the fridge section of your grocery store)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2.5 cups ricotta cheese 
  • 4 tablespoons thyme scented honey (plain works too!)
  • 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon (plus a little more for dusting on top) 

DIRECTIONS:

Let your phyllo dough sit in the fridge while you prep the filling. You'll need a springform pan that you've buttered the sides of when you're ready to assembly everything. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. 

For the filling, beat eggs in a bowl, add sugar and flour and then beat together until fluffy in texture. Next, add the cheese, honey, and cinnamon. Mix well. 

Roll out the phyllo dough on a floured surface and line the 10 inch round spring form pan. Let the extras hang down around the pan, you'll wrap the tart in these extras once the filling is in. Once the dough is set in the pan, pour in the cheese mixture. 

Bake for 50-60 minutes on a baking sheet. Remove the tart from the oven and sprinkle more cinnamon on top (while it's still hot). 

Makes a super great, sweet breakfast. I hope you have enjoyed this edition of the lost recipe files.....And thank you for a wonderful year. Here's to many more, cheers!

Eat well! Be Well!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!