Sunday, February 21, 2016

Breakfast Fried Rice



A couple weeks ago I woke up inspired. I had less than an hour to get ready for work, but I just NEEDED a fresh, fun, filling new breakfast. I looked into my fridge. I usually dread this ritual because my fridge is not always the most cohesive and useful tool in my kitchen. Ha, that's some truth for you right there. Something that I always need to work on is details. It takes a lot of patience and willingness to see the bigger picture when you're setting up your fridge. Have you washed, sliced, prepped your fresh fruits and veggies? Did you cook your grains ahead of time?

It's a lot of work. Work that I usually don't have time for, or at least don't make time for. 

But that morning a couple of weeks ago, the stars aligned and I had just the right combo of items already prepared to have that fresh, fun, filling new breakfast. So there I was in my PJs, with ten minutes left to go until I needed to be in the car headed to work, taking pictures of this awesome breakfast on our deck. I just had to share it with you. 

It's fried rice with 2 eggs instead of just 1, wilted greens and roasted sweet potato. And I mean, wow, I can't wait to have it again.





INGREDIENTS
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Salt & Pepper to taste 
  • 1 cup roasted sweet potato, sliced into small chunks
  • 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
  • 1 handful greens (about 1 cup)
  • 2 eggs, scrambled 
  • Feta cheese for topping, optional
  • Hot sauce for topping, optional

DIRECTIONS

Start with a large pan and heat the olive oil and garlic over medium-high heat. After about 1 minute. Dump the sweet potatoes into the pan and begin to stir fry. To learn how to roast the sweet potatoes, click here. Cook for about 5 minutes. 

Next, add the rice to the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes and then add the greens. Add some salt and pepper to your liking. Once you see the greens wilting, push everything to the side. Whisk the eggs and add them to the newly cleared space in the pan. Scrape the eggs back and forth on the pan until the set. 

Once the eggs are set, combine everything. Cook for just a little while longer until the eggs show a little brown-ness. Get a bowl out, top with fresh radish, hot sauce, feta. Serve with fresh fruit and fresh coffee. Now breathe in the morning and know you've done something good for yourself. 

Enjoy!
And remember, sometimes that extra effort is totally worth it.




xoxo,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!