Sunday, October 25, 2015

Quick Chicken Pozole




When I am in a cooking rut, our dinners at home really start consisting of one thing: quesadillas. I think you all have heard me rant about this before, so I'll keep this rant short. I love quesadillas and ruts happen in the kitchen. I used to really worry about it, especially putting out this blog every week. What will people think of me? Am I some kind of poser? 

Nope! Not at all. And neither are you, my friend. Let me reiterate: Ruts in the kitchen happen. And for me, with all the rich content out on the internet these days, it's hard to keep up on pushing out fresh ideas every week.  Sometimes we need ruts for creativity to cultivate. I call it a resting period. A time to rest my mind and keep it open. 

So this week, I want to share with you a dish that is a spin on my old dinner staple: Pozole. It's a perfect pairing for my beloved quesadilla, and helps mix things up when I find myself in that no-mans land of creativity.  




It's quick, it's easy, and it is a sure-fire crowd pleaser. Let me reemphasize the it's EASY portion of this, especially if you have some left over chicken and veggies laying around....which I always do. Pozole is one of my absolute favorite soups. You can top it with fresh ingredients, it's so simple, and so filling. 



So let's get down to business, here's what you do:


INGREDIENTS

  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1.25 pounds shredded chicken (already cooked)
  • 2 teaspoons oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon cumin and chile powder
  • Salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice to taste
  • 1 four ounce can diced green chiles

  • 1 regular sized can of enchilada sauce 
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 16 ounces hominy (you'll find it in a can in the "Mexican" aisle of your grocery store)


DIRECTIONS
  • Get your large soup pot out, heat the oil over medium high heat and sauté the onions and garlic
  • Once translucent, add the green chiles. Sauté for about a minute. Then add the oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and chile powder. Sauté for 1 more minute. 
  • Turn the heat to medium, and start adding the rest of your ingredients: stir in the chicken, add the enchilada sauce, and the hominy.
  • Cover and turn up the heat to medium high again. Cook until it boils, then serve it up!
  • Garnish with fresh radish, tomato, sour cream, lime, shredded lettuce, tortilla chips, etc. !! 



And enjoy! As always, eat well! Bell well! And subscribe by email below to always be in the loop with Karen's Place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!