Sunday, October 11, 2015

Falling into Autumn -- Spicy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Some people really love their pumpkin spice when the leaves starting turning colors. I don't quite know what it is, but let me tell you - there is so much more to life than pumpkin spice! As for me, I have always been a huge cinnamon fan. And recently, I have been opened to the world of cardamom. Put these two together and you've got an unbeatable combo!

With the cooler weather, slowly trickling in, the days are getting shorter and soggier. You have a day off, and what sounds better than some warm cookies and a good movie? Add a blanket and you've got the workings of a perfect day. 





Oh, and did I tell you I make the BEST cookies around? They were my speciality back in college.  I found one recipe and have reworked it over the years, adding my own favorite flavors, mixing it up for different styles - you know, the usual!

Well here's one variation of the best cookie recipe around to help you settle into Autumn and WOW your friends. Here are my Spicy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies. And when I say spicy...I mean spice! Not hot!

Get that butter and those eggs to room temperature! And enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups chocolate chips

DRY - in a medium bowl
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup dutch cocoa 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
WET - in a large bowl
  • 1 egg (whole)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla



DIRECTIONS
  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
  • Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
  • In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Use a whisk to combine. 
  • In a large bowl, combine the butter and the sugars using a mixer on high speed. Whip them together for about 1 minute until the butter and the sugar look fluffy.
  • To the butter and sugar mixture, add the eggs and vanilla. Stir slightly, until just combined.
  • To the wet ingredients, add the dry ingredients in portions. You don't want flour going every where! 
  • Once the wet and the dry ingredients are combined, using a spoon, add the chocolate chips. 
  • Using a cookie scoop, spoon, or 1/4 cup measure, scoop out the dough onto the baking sheet.
  • Cook for 12-14 minutes. Cool. And eat them all up.

Subscribe by email below, and never miss a beat!
-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!