Sunday, November 1, 2015

Greek Pepper Stew

The funny thing about cooking is that when you find something you like it ends up falling into some kind of familiar rotation. On Tuesdays you have Tacos, Wednesday is a Pasta Salad, and every other night is Chicken and Roasted Veggies. Seems like a good plan, no?

I say NOT! It's fun when you master certain dishes. But, where is the fun in doing the same old thing week after week? That is why I love pinterest and I ADORE cook books. They are never-ending resources for inspiration, challenge, and deliciousness. 

Most of the time, I don't even follow the recipe. I look at the name and the picture and then I begin an adventure of my own. That's why I made this blog, and that's why I do what I do in the kitchen. Cooking is like any other kind of art form. You grab the ingredients you want to make your own symphony or masterpiece of flavors. 

That's how this week's recipe was born. I was flipping through a Greek inspired cook book when I came across an Autumn pepper stew with chicken sausage. I read through the ingredient list and instructions, and then quickly found myself walking through Trader Joe's. I went through the recipe over and over in my head, taking the parts from the book that seemed most necessary and adding the ingredients I think would be a fun twist of my own. And as you read this, I encourage you to do the same. Make it yours!

So here it is, the Greek Pepper Stew. Believe it or not, it's very light while also being extremely hearty and healthy. It's a perfect companion as you welcome cooler, darker nights, and makes for a great lunch the next day. 



INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • Shallot, diced 
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 3 peppers 
  • The juice of 2 lemons, divided 
  • 4 chicken sausage links, chopped
  • 1 can cannellini beans
  • 8 ounces chicken broth
  • 16 ounces stewed tomatoes 
  • 1 cup kalamata olives, diced 
  • 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley 
  • Herbs de provence, salt, pepper, to taste
  • Feta cheese for topping
  • 1 cup cous cous, cooked (Optional for serving) 
DIRECTIONS
  • Get a large soup pot or dutch oven out. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. 
  • Sauté shallot, onion, garlic until fragrant and translucent (about 5 minutes).
  • Add the diced peppers, sauté for another 5-7 minutes. The peppers need to be soft. 
  • Add the juice of 1 lemon, the parsley, herbs, salt and pepper. Sauté for another minute.
  • Add the sausage (mine was already cooked), cook for 2 minutes
  • Add the drained beans, cook for another minute
  • Then add the chicken broth and bring to bubble. Be sure to scrape the bottom while you wait. This is akin to deglazing the pan!
  • Add the tomatoes and wait until it boils. Then add the olives. Turn down the heat to medium and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. 
  • Top everything with the juice of the second lemon and stir.
  • You can serve this hearty stew over a bed of cous cous and top it off with some feta. Delish! 



Did you make this meal? How did it turn out? What did you change? Let me know on Instagram by tagging me: @karenleannkirsch

:) Eat well! Be well! And follow by email by adding yours below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!