Sunday, December 27, 2015

Granny's Modern Gingersanps

We called my Great-Grandmother, Granny. She raised three kids on a farm way up north in a small town called Sedro-Woolley. I have a lot of small memories of Granny. But what stands out to me most is when my family and I moved to a new house that was right around the corner from her. I remember walking down to see her before school in the mornings. We would sit at her round kitchen table and she would tell me about days past on the farm and what my Grandpa and Aunt Deanie were like when they were little. She would also revel in stories about when she was my age. No question of mine was left unanswered and I always felt special when she told me a funny story that none of the other grandkids knew yet.


At that time, I was writing a short story. It was just a hobby of mine, but she was convinced I should publish it. I was 10, and trust me the story was silly. But that's what I really loved about Granny. I knew that she loved me very much and thought I was good enough to do anything that I wanted to do. 



Granny passed away when I was a freshman in college. I wrote that reflection above right after she died. I found it the other day in my email when I was looking for her gingersnap recipe. She didn't cook much for us while when I was growing up, but this cookie recipe of hers was always my favorite. The recipe below is written in her handwriting....


Per usual, I'm taking a recipe and making a twist on it. This time, I'm updating Granny's recipe a little. Today's research recommends that Crisco is not very good for you. And I'm not saying this new recipe is GOOD for you .... but butter is not as likely to mess up your body as much. I took down the flour and the sugar a little too. So while this isn't quite true to what you see above, it is an homage to my Granny Bernice. I hope you like them!




INGREDIENTS

The dry (in a medium bowl)

  • 3.5 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ginger (have some extra to roll the dough in)
  • 1 [even] teaspoon cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
The wet (in a large bowl)
  • 1 cup butter, @ room temperature  
  • 1 cup white sugar (have some extra to roll the dough in)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, @ room temperature 
  • Scant 1/2 cup molasses 
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 


DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
  3. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugars.
    The mixture should look fluffy. 
  4. Then, beat in the eggs, vanilla, and molasses to the butter-sugar mixture.
    Stir until just combined. 
  5. Next, slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet. 
  6. This optional, but I would suggest chilling the dough for at least 20 minutes. 
  7. Finally, using a cookie scoop, shape the dough and roll it in a sugar + ground ginger mixture. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 11-12 minutes.
  8. Cool completely. Serve with some green tea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!