Ethan really likes things to taste "fresh". It took me a long time to really understand what he meant by that. But in essence, it means he likes eating things that are good for him. Food that won't feel heavy in his stomach but still give him the energy to play all those Dota games .... As for me, I really need things to be full of flavor. A lot of times, straight veggies and plain chicken WILL NOT cut it for me. It's caused some differences in the kitchen, but after a year or so of trial and error, I think we are finding a new palate path together. Today's post is a perfect example of that. It's really, really, fresh but also PACKED with unique flavor. It's a great salad that will infuse some awesome Asian inspired tones into to your next meal. Or just add some simple baked chicken (or chickpeas) to the bowl for a compete, light, meal.
I think this one is coming just at the right time for the New Year, don't you think?
So, here we go:
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the salad:
- 1 medium Orange, peeled, sectioned, and diced
- 2 Satsumas, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup English Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Onion, thinly sliced (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Mint, minced
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl
- Chop and prep all of the main ingredients for the salad and combine in a bigger bowl
- Toss in the dressing and combine the salad. Serve immeadiately.
And that's it! Good for you and it actually tastes good.
Maybe sticking to those resolutions won't be so hard after all?
Follow by email below to always have Karen's Place delivered to your inbox :)