Friday, April 24, 2015

Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls


For those of you who don't know, I work at a really cool non-profit called The Mountaineers. We get people outside! One of the biggest reasons I work for The Mountaineers is because I want to honor my sense of adventure. And boy, do these folks really know how to challenge that! One of the biggest perks for working for "The Mounties" is getting to contribute to their quarterly magazine. Check out recent issues here!

The editor found out about my food blog and asked me to also start contributing recipes. So, one day I grabbed a couple colleagues and took over our break room to make a special hiking snack.


Needless to say, I have found some real kindred spirits at work. Up above is Bria, who you all will meet in the next post. And not pictured is Allison. She will hopefully agree to let me photograph her in the kitchen soon. A food stylist and ex-baker (now accountant?!), she was the rockstar of this baking adventure and photoshoot. I can't wait to learn more from these two ladies!



And with that long winded introduction, here's the excerpt from my article for The Mountaineer magazine! Introducing to you, Chocolate Matcha Energy BALLZ.



I find that I never have enough time to figure out good snacks to bring along with me for a day hike or a long camping trip. Nuts, trail mix, energy bars? Yeah, they do the trick. But don’t you find that the typical snacks become a little boring or bland? Mind you, I’m not trying to cook a gourmet meal and lug it in my pack. I need something compact and full of flavor. And most of all, I need something that will sustain me.

I decided to go the extra mile and make sure this treat not only kept you going but tasted great and kept you full too. Chocolate, cinnamon, cardamom, and almonds finish off these bites with a powerful tasty punch. Matcha isn’t the easiest to find, but you can find it at any natural food grocery like PCC or Whole Foods. For a more economic choice, head over to Trader Joe’s and get their matcha latté powder. It’ll still have the same taste!

You’ll need a food processor or a very powerful blender to make these. But you can make them in 10 minutes, tops.  And then boom, you have a wonderful and easy to pack snack in your pack!



INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup pitted dates (make sure they are sticky)
  • 1 cup raw almonds
  •   ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons matcha powder
  • 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon cardamom
  • 1  capful vanilla extract (about 1 teaspoon)

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Add the dates and the almonds in a food processor until you can roll the dough into a sticky ball
  2. Put the cocoa powder, matcha powder, spices, milk, and extract into the dough and pulse the food processor until combined
  3. Once combined, roll the dough into small 1’’ balls – dust with matcha powder if desired
  4. Store in fridge or freezer, pack along with you in the hills, or enjoy for a pre-work out snack.
It's hiking season people! Eat well! Be well! And subscribe below, you won't want to miss what's next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!