Sunday, September 20, 2015

Fresh Zucchini Waffles


It's Saturday morning. Growing up, I'd wake up early, turn on some Saturday morning cartoons, and go to the kitchen. There I would find my dad rummaging through the cupboard, and prepping the counters with bowls and ingredients. He was in charge of pretty much everything, but I was the master stirrer of the dry ingredients and the homemade maple syrup.

Saturday mornings only meant one thing in my house: waffles. 

This morning, I woke up in a new house. 
I have a new kitchen and a fridge full of groceries, thanks to wonderful friends and family. So for my first Saturday in my new home, I thought it would only be fitting to make some waffles using my dad's recipe. But of course, I added a twist! Ethan's mom's garden has bloomed in the hot Seattle summer, and along with a dozen pears and apples, she gave us two huge zucchini. So I thought to myself, "Zucchini Waffles would be good."

And boy, they sure were. Soft in the middle, crunchy on the outside. Slab on some peanut butter and a little bit of syrup, and you've got yourself one special breakfast.



INGREDIENTS
  • 1 small zucchini (or 1/2 of a large one), grated & drained
  • 1.75 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 
  • 2 dashes salt 
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1.75 almond milk
  • 0.5 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated 
DIRECTIONS
  • Using a cheese grater, grate your zucchini. Place it in a strainer and set something heavy on top of it. Let the zucchini drain for about 30 minutes. 
  • Get your waffle maker heating on high. Make sure to spray it with some non-stick spray!
  • Separate the egg whites, beat them until they turn white and start to form peaks. 
  • In a separate, large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, oil, and milk
  • In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. 
  • Add the dry ingredients to the yolk, oil, milk mixture. Mix until almost smooth. You want lumps! Then add the grated zucchini.
  • Finally, to the large bowl, add the egg whites slowly and fold them in. Do not over mix. Your batter should look bubbly. 
  • Once your waffle maker is ready, use a 1 cup measure and spoon in the batter. Cook until golden brown!
Enjoy!
And subscribe by email below for more fun :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!