We were in the shadow of Mt. Si, and after months of going a million miles an hour in the city, I felt relaxed and clear.
I had never really experienced anything quite like picking your own food before. While U-Pick is really fun, it's a lot of hard work! I was hot, distracted, and my back started hurting. It made me really start thinking about the folks who provide us fresh berries and produce every day. I'm not sure what would motivate someone to stand out in the hot sun every day, but I do know that we don't support our farmers and their workers enough.
46 pounds of blueberries later. It was time to play in the creek to cool off, get back home, clean the berries, and split them up between us all. We freezed some and kept some fresh and uncleaned for eating and baking with during the week.
Blueberry Cardamom Galette Adapted from Fine Cooking
Ingredients for the filling:
Ingredients for the dough:
- 6-3/4 oz. (1-1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 5-1/2 oz. (11 Tbs.) cold, unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 Tbs. whole milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- Big pinch table salt
- 1 large egg, beaten well
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
Directions for the dough:
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- Cut the cold butter into 1/2-inch cubes and add them to the flour.
- On a low speed, mix the butter and flour until the flour is no longer white and holds together when you clump it with your fingers, this will take 1 to 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolk and milk and then add that to the flour mixture.
- On low speed, mix until the dough just comes together
- Knead the dough on a clean counter working it with the heel of your hand
- Wrap the dough in a sheet of plastic wrap as a flat disk, and let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes (or up to four days) before rolling it out.
- Before rolling it out, make sure you get the filling ready!
Directions for the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment
- Put the blueberries in a large bowl. Toss the fruit with the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and spices. Add the lemon zest, honey, flour and salt, and toss
Now it's time to combine and bake:
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. Roll the dough out and place on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the fruit in the center of the dough round.
- Using your fingertips, fold the edges of the dough over some of the fruit to create a rim about 2 inches wide. Work your way all around, pleating the dough as you go.
- Using a pastry brush or spoon, cover the dough evenly with the beaten egg. Sprinkle the granulated sugar directly on the dough and fruit.
- Bake the free form pie for 55 minutes, cool completely and serve at room temperature
|And there you have it! A beautifully rustic Blueberry Galette|
Keep enjoying the summer sun everyone! And get yourself to a U-Pick farm ASAP, you won't regret it. Eat well! Be well! And subscribe below to never miss a beat :)