Sunday, March 8, 2015

Orange ya' glad I put chocolate on those cookies?

Out of all desserts in the whole world, the cookie reign supreme in my world. The cookie so versatile and can suit the tastebuds of almost anyone. Soft, chewy, crunchy, gooey, the possibilities are endless. I know I get this vice from my mom.

Cookies have always been something special for us. It was one of the first things my mom taught me how to make. And was definitely the first thing she trusted me to make on my own in the kitchen. She likes them crunchy so she can dip them in her milk. I like them gooey so I can pretend its still cookie dough. 

But let's be real for a moment, cookies have a bad rep for being boring. Isn't that right? Not today, my friends! I have combined the best of two worlds. The flavors of orange and chocolate have made a cookie baby in my mind and I am obsessed. Okay, too much info right? Maybe just get to the recipe Karen...

Here's the deal. It's a sugar cookie, infused with orange, topped with chocolate which is also infused with orange. If this doesn't YELL spring, than I have no idea what global warming has done to your brain. 

Make these now. 



INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • Orange zest of one whole orange, divided 
  • 1 stick butter
  • 3 ounces cream cheese 
  • 3 teaspoons orange extract 
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 
Additions:
  • 1 cup sugar in the raw for rolling the dough in
  • For the chocolate ganache
    • 2/3 cup chocolate  chips, melted
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 teaspoons orange extract 
...phew... but trust me, use all these ingredients and your mouth will thank you



DIRECTIONS:

0. preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and cover your cookie sheet with parchment or foil

1. In a large bowl, cream together the sugars, butter, cream cheese, and half of the orange zest and then beat in the eggs, vanilla, orange extract, and the other half of the orange zest

2. In a medium bowl, combine or sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices 

3. Slowly, add the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture 

4. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls using a scoop or spoons. Before placing on the cookie sheet, roll the ball around in raw sugar. Trust me, the crunch really adds to the cookie!

5. Bake for 10-12 minutes

6. Cool the cookies and prep your ganache. Melt the chocolate the butter separately and then combine. Stir in the honey and the orange extract. Mix until smooth. 

7. Spoon the chocolate onto the cookie or dip them in. Then cool and enjoy with a glass of almond milk ... because I can't have real milk. 


Eat well! Be well! And subscribe below to always be in the know :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

what did you like about this post? what would you add? did you try it? I want to know!